Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was here a long time ago asking people for their opinion on c6 corvettes in november .
Well I got a Lemans Blue 2lz C6 Z06 and it arrived in january.

Yesterday me and my brother took the car out for a highspeed run across the desert and in 105 degree heat with the AC on and two guys in it, the Z06 hit an indicated 205 mph.
My brother installed some equipment in the car with antenas and everything and we had a modefied lingenfelter c5 chasing it, the C5 had a digital speedo and it recorded a top speed of 205 mph. Even the lingenfelter ran out of steam at that speed.
The car is bone stock.

I want to know if someone else has done this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
So with all those fancy gadgets, was there a video camera present that say...recorded a video?

PS 205 MPH is smoking fast, congrats on owning such an amazing car! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,909 Posts
:cool:

:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lawnchair said:
So with all those fancy gadgets, was there a video camera present that say...recorded a video?

PS 205 MPH is smoking fast, congrats on owning such an amazing car! :thumbsup:
Thats what I get teased about a lot. I dont have a proper movie cam or a digital cam. I just have my trusty 6600.

And I was in the chase car with a friend. My brother and his friend were in the Z06.

the chase car is a C5 lingenfelter with a 600bhp 427 package.

The Z06 was phenomenally quick when I saw 200 mph on the speedo I smiled.

There were a some bikes around for the run and they too were hanging with the Z06 around the 200 mph speed.

The people watching the run said it was an awesome sight seeing two corvettes and some bikes running through the desert at speed.

Now Im gonna get LG long tube headers and some other stuff for my car and hopefully do it again. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
205 Jibes With Two Other Factors

The tires on our Z's are rated to a maximum of 205 MPH. The Z is also electronically speed governed to 205 (probably because of the tires).

Congrats!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
:smokin: Now you know you got the fastest color!!:laughing: :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
elegant said:
The tires on our Z's are rated to a maximum of 205 MPH. The Z is also electronically speed governed to 205 (probably because of the tires).

Congrats!
I didnt know corvettes were electronically limited. So maybe it can go even faster stock?

Its a good car. It just keeps on amazing me with the amount of heart it has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
blackslbenz said:
I didnt know corvettes were electronically limited. So maybe it can go even faster stock?

Its a good car. It just keeps on amazing me with the amount of heart it has.
most all late model cars and trucks are computer speed limited to the speed rating of the factory supplied tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RossN said:
Next you go out, take a inexpensive Handheld/Car GPS unit with you. Some of them like my old Garmin Ique3600 can readout MPH to a tenth.

That should verify your true mph.
Ive wanted something like that for a while but I didnt know any good brand names.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
What desert highway were you on and how long of a stretch would you estimate it took to get to top speed? How fast were you going when you started? What time of the day? I know the wind drag starts to get pretty heavy at 160mph and up, that's how fast I took mine on Hwy 66 a couple of months ago, it still had plenty of power left. Thanks!

EFE Z06
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
blackslbenz said:
I was here a long time ago asking people for their opinion on c6 corvettes in november .
Well I got a Lemans Blue 2lz C6 Z06 and it arrived in january.

Yesterday me and my brother took the car out for a highspeed run across the desert and in 105 degree heat with the AC on and two guys in it, the Z06 hit an indicated 205 mph.
My brother installed some equipment in the car with antenas and everything and we had a modefied lingenfelter c5 chasing it, the C5 had a digital speedo and it recorded a top speed of 205 mph. Even the lingenfelter ran out of steam at that speed.
The car is bone stock.

I want to know if someone else has done this.
Did you happen to check rpm's you were turning at 205mph?
I would assume this was in 5th gear.
[/IMG]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
USA1C5 said:
Did you happen to check rpm's you were turning at 205mph?
I would assume this was in 5th gear./QUOTE]


Because of the high wind drag 6th gear won't pull at over 170, if even that high! He had to be close to redline in 5th at 200mph. At 160mph I was at 4k on the tach and 5th was pulling like a dog escaping hell! :laughing:

EFE Z06
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Stats I have read say top speed in 5th gear @ 6300 rpm = 198 mph.
I calculate 205 mph in 5th gear would be just over 6500 rpm (6523).
That means if one could red line in 5th gear 7000 rpm = 220 mph.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top