Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting at a light in the Z06 and when the light changed I started going but it dropped out of 1st. Jumped into Neutral WTF!!!!

Anyone have this happen?

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
I would think that if it happens every once in a blue moon, it means you just didn't get it in all the way and it just popped out (sometimes this happens to me when I go into reverse).

If this is a regular occurance, then you have a problem....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
I would think that if it happens every once in a blue moon, it means you just didn't get it in all the way and it just popped out (sometimes this happens to me when I go into reverse).

I second what he said.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If it does happen more then once or twice...

I would try to adjust the shifter... it's pretty easy.. you un bolt the center console and slide it back and take cover/trim off around the shifter and then take out the 3 10mm bolts that hold the shifter cover to the floor and then you see the shifter. now make shure it's in neutral and loose the 2 10mm bolts that hold theshifter to the torque tube.. now push the pin at the front of the shifter down.. now lock down the 2 10mm bolts at the torque tube. and pull the pin up.. you just adjusted your shifter.. and take it for a ride and then through all the plastic back on..

If that doens't help then it's probably the synchro's in the trans...

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Lets hope its just an adjustment, or maybe you did'nt have it all the way in gear. How often does it happen. :huh:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:

Pat are you talking cars here..or something else?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Punk Boy said:
Pat are you talking cars here..or something else?
LoL.. sheese keep your mind out of the gutter.. hee hee

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,940 Posts
VetteTech81 said:
Sometimes the gutter can be fun.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
VetteTech81 said:
just ask pat that is what he was waiting for someone to pick up on....took you guys long enough

·
Registered
17 Posts
I test drove a used C5 coupe that did that quite often - it was just a bit difficult to get it all the way into first sometimes. My car would do that in reverse occasionally, so now I just make good and damn sure that it's in gear before letting out the clutch.

I really don't think synchos have anything to do with it. They are used to align the gears when shifting, they have nothing to do with actually keeping the gears engaged. That would be some kind of detent ball, typically spring-loaded.

If it's a low mileage non-abused car and it only does it occasionally, then you just ain't gettin' it in all the way. Drive the car more and practice. :D

Michael :buhbye:

·
Registered
662 Posts
ragvette said:
Sitting at a light in the Z06 and when the light changed I started going but it dropped out of 1st. Jumped into Neutral WTF!!!!

Anyone have this happen?

:cheers:
FWIW, it has happened to me when I got sloppy and didn't make sure the shift lever was all the way forward in first gear. When you let the clutch out in this situation you hear a very loud bang. As far as I can determine this is purely driver error and not a problem with the transmission.

Ray

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
ragvette said:
Thanx everyone. Maybe the short-shifter mod will fix it. :D
The short shifter mod will probably make it WORSE.

It did in my case. I had to re-adjust mine 3 times, and it still occasionally jumps out of first (maybe once a week)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts