Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the new Michelin PS2's on this Sat.

Is it necessary to align them? I know GM does a different alignment in the front where the wheels are tilted in a bit. (this is where i experienced the most wear)

I'm wondering if other c5 z06 owners keep the same alignment or not. I'm probably just going to keep it the same since I've never had a problem with it, but staring at my new tires these bad boys look soft!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your Z06 has a bit of negative camber dialed in at Bowling Green (the "tilt" you speak of).

It is good practice to get the car aligned with new tires. When my new CCW's went on, I lowered the C5 and had it aligned. It was amazing how far off some settings were (the car had been slightly "dog walking" since day one!

Anyway, it is $100 well spent. If you do not autocross, you can reduce the negative camber to C5 "service preferred settings", or approx. -0.18º of camber) to improve tire wear. That should prevent you "burning the inside edge" off your tires.

Have fun with the new sticky tires!

Chuck

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had a new set of Michelin PS2 295/35/18's mounted on the rear last week. They are a bit soft, but it is very easy to break em both loose at a 40 mph speed. I am trying to lay off the pedal so they will at least last 3 or 4 months. I drive my vette hard cause I like it that way. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I put the PS2's on today, and got an alignment based on specs recommended by Aaron Pfadt for street/track.

I'm running 1.8 degree camber in the front, 1.5 degree camber in the rear, and ZERO toe.

The car drives straight as an arrow (you can take your hands off the wheel on the highway) and corners violently.

Try to find a place that does laser alignments! Most "Just Tires" do.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
402 Posts
... specs recommended by Aaron Pfadt for street/track.

I'm running 1.8 degree camber in the front, 1.5 degree camber in the rear, and ZERO toe.

Me too. I'm installing Pfadt camber plates this weekend and I'm going to use Aaron's max street/track recommendations. I keep wearing out the outer edges of my front PSCs.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Me too. I'm installing Pfadt camber plates this weekend and I'm going to use Aaron's max street/track recommendations. I keep wearing out the outer edges of my front PSCs.
I just wish I was back at spring mountain to give it another shot. My fronts were pointed outward... and my rears were pointed outward. No wonder the car was all over the place.

The rears were off almost a half inch. It was so out of range the lasers wouldn't send the reading back. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I just wish I was back at spring mountain to give it another shot. My fronts were pointed outward... and my rears were pointed outward. No wonder the car was all over the place.

The rears were off almost a half inch. It was so out of range the lasers wouldn't send the reading back. :laughing:
:surprised Thats why it wouldn't stay on the track...You will give me a run for my money now...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn. I will def. do the alignment lol The PS2's are softer than the stock GY??? That should be interesting! I'm hoping to get about 15-20k miles out of these bad boys. I cant wait for tomorrow! I'm considering a burnout as I pull in to the service place :devil:

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
My tires are wearing on the inside as well. When I had it aligned last, they asked me if I wanted them to do it to the coupe/vert specs. they sai dit would wear out the inside if I kept the Z alignment. I stayed with the Z specs and the fronts are wearing, but not overly faster than the rears.

PS I squeeeezed out 28K mi on original set.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts

Were did you get the Z alignment done? I found a pretty bad issue with my right rear. The outer edge is really worn!

Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PS2's are GREAT

I had the PS2's put on, tires are fantastic! I drove through NYC twice this past weekend.....MUCH quieter than the GY. Handling is great. ID say dry pavement is equal to the GY but not enough experience on them yet to really say.

These are supposed to be better in rain (no rain yet to test lol) They ride quieter, are definitely more forgiving on bumps, and are said to last longer than the GY. I would def recommend these to any one.

One question though. What PSI do fellow PS2 drivers keep their tires at? Im assuming the 32 from GM was with the GY, my service guy put them at like 28-30.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts