Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a VY Z in our service dept for a fluid leak passenger side rear of engine block. Turns out coolant is leaking from rear of head at the block.
I was there today as tech was removing head and it was decided to replace
head with a new casting. I can tell you the new bare head is really a work
art. Ports are huge, and they are c'nc'ed as advertised. Funny thing I saw
where the piston tops. They have valve reliefs cut in them on both sides.
In other words, if you took a piston and installed it in cylinder one way, you could spin it 180 degrees and it will still work as they have 2 sets of
valve reliefs cut into each piston. Wonder why they do this? Seems like
it would pick up a bit of compression without the 2 extra reliefs cut into them. Tried to look into the intake manifold to see if any casting marks
that could be cleaned up to make a little horsepower but really couldn't see that much because throttle body was still attached. You could see where head gasket was allowing fluid leak and I thought it was cool that they where replacing the head with a new one to be sure it was fixed right. Just wanted to pass this info on, not to often we see a LS7 dismantled.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,450 Posts
Glad it was disassmebled ofr a fluid leak instead of a gernaded motor. Maybe that will be the last time you have to see it apart. Did you get any pics of the inside?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pics. I just happened across it when i was walking through service dept. I may bring camera with me tomorrow and see about taking a picture or two.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
:surprised

1 - 4 of 4 Posts