Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since replacing my stock mufflers on my 04 with some stock Z06 titanium mufflers I have noticed a rattling type noise on hard acceleration most noticeable between 2500 and 3000 rpms in first and second gear. The noise sounds like it’s coming from behind the car in the muffler area. It sounds like a rattling, giggling loose muffler type noise. I thought initially it might be the H pipe so I replace the factory H pipe with a Corsa X crossover pipe. The X pipe did not really help the problem any, in fact it might have made it a little more noticeable. I have been back through the exhaust connections to recheck them for leaks and I’m sure they are all tight so I don’t think that’s the problem. The Chevrolet service manual suggests checking the exhaust system with a rubber mallet for any rattles in the system. So I did and the mufflers do have a slight rattle to them, kind of like there is some sediment in them or maybe since they both have the same noise in them when I lightly tap on them with the mallet it’s a structural thing because of the titanium metal. Maybe the noise is normal and to be expected. I know that the exhaust is lighter and probably moves around a little more than the stainless steel stock exhaust did. I’m just hoping that there isn’t anything more serious wrong with the car that I’m hearing. I thought I would ask to see if anyone else had any experience with this type of situation. Thanks!:huh:

Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mike:

I have a 2001 Z06 and sometimes my exhaust will give me the same thing, I have never had a performance problem with the exhaust and I have 30,000 miles on the car.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
No worries. That's common with the titanium exhaust and stock h-pipe on C5 Z06's. An x-pipe helps (helped me) but I still hear it in the rear of the exhaust just like you. But the under-my-feet jingling is gone.

My BB Bullets will be here any day now, that should permanently solve the issue!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the Ti's also, i bought them used and can't say i have heard what your describing although at WOT they do make some kinda noise, but i think thats the nasty from the motor :laughing:
I will pay more attention though maybe im missing somthing.
Overall i love them i think they are a great in between from stock
to somthing that be a little obnoxious (for me anyway. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts