Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Detroit News is claiming that an inside source who cannot be named has confirmed the long-rumored Zora. That source says that there are THREE more C8 models on the horizon:

1. The Z06 will have an LT6 5.5L, flatplane, DOHC V8, naturally aspirated. Expect approximately 650 HP with 600 lb-ft. 2022 or possibly later.
2. The ZR1 will have an LT7 5.5L, flatplane, DOHC V8 that is Twin Turbocharged. Expect more than 850 HP with 825 lb-ft. 2024 or possibly later
3. The Zora will build on the ZR1 but will add a front electric motor drive in order to hit 1,000 HP with 995 lb-ft. 2025 or later.

ALL of the above models will use the exact same Tremmic DCT transmission used in the Sting Ray [...at the time of their introduction I'm thinking. We've seen a few problems with it and lots of complaining about the two quarts of fluid that must be added to track the C8, so I'd bet there will be some tweaks coming - an easier way to add fluid at the least].

P.S. What is NOT mentioned is the Grand Sport. So I will just toss this out there for discussion or whatever. I think the GS will use the Sting Ray OHV V8 in the wide body (mostly Z06) and at least offer as an option, AWD using a much less powerful electric motor (90-100 HP? for a total just under 600 HP) than the Zora. We have seen in the cut-away display of the C8 that all of the space and most of the parts are already in place to drop in an electric motor and FWD components. The batteries will most likely be located in the tunnel and/or directly in front of the dash. BUT WHEN!!?? Do you think they would dare offer it BEFORE the Zora??? ...AND will they then make this smaller electric motor available as an option on the Z06 and/or the ZR1 at the same time??

Intriguing, right? Think of the ultimate horsepower options:

490 Sting Ray
495 Z51
595 GS awd (when?)
650 Z06
750 Z06 awd?
850 ZR1
950 ZR1 awd ?
1000 Zora

That would be a LOT of choices and probably TOO MUCH confusion, TOO MANY production variances to be efficient, and a LOT of development costs (suspension tuning alone is mind-boggling) but it's fun to think about the possibilities. The C4 & C5 never had more than two HP options IN ANY SINGLE YEAR. The C6 had 4 (including the optional bi-modal on the base car). The C7 had the same (correct me if I am wrong please). Conceivably, the C8 could have 8 different HP choices as early as 2025 (but probably later if at all).

One last wet blanket codicil about all of the above; If sports car sales, and the C8 sales in particular, falter due to the pandemic, a resurgence of the pandemic, or global economic problems affecting the USA, not only could dates get pushed out, but models could get canceled. Also, if a Democrat becomes President and re-institutes Obama's 54.5 MPG CAFE requirement...well expect MAJOR CHANGES and throw my HP list in the trash. Call me an optimist, but I'd bet against my own codicil.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think the GS will use the Sting Ray OHV V8 in the wide body (mostly Z06) and at least offer as an option, AWD using a much less powerful electric motor (90-100 HP? for a total just under 600 HP) than the Zora.
This (Hybrid GS) was mentioned I believe on Autoblog about a month ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts