Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a '93 with the black tag ZF6. I want to change the fluids. I attempted to remove the fill plug first with a 17mm hex socket. This plug is friggin tight, it started to damage the hex plug. I stopped asap when I saw movement on the socket and not the plug. This really sucks.

Anyone have any tips? I shot a lot of BP blaster on it... I'm pretty desperate right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've worked on a few that were stubborn like that.....Liquid wrench left to penitrate for an hour or so commonly works.....or if still no luck.....a little heat directed to the case "around" the plug (with a regular hand held tourch) should do it.....don't be affraid to heat it up pretty good if you have to.....won't hurt a thing.......many times heat is the only answer for siezed on bolts and fittings............Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had same Problem

Ok, I have a '93 with the black tag ZF6. I want to change the fluids. I attempted to remove the fill plug first with a 17mm hex socket. This plug is friggin tight, it started to damage the hex plug. I stopped asap when I saw movement on the socket and not the plug. This really sucks.

Anyone have any tips? I shot a lot of BP blaster on it... I'm pretty desperate right now.

Thanks!
I had same problem with my 40th Ann about two years ~'95 after purchase. Even made a special wrench from hex stock-no help! Car was at dealer for something else so asked them to loosen plug.
They could not. Service Manager called Chevy and said he was concerned about breaking the case! He was told to apply more force! They got out a truck wrench and pulled hard! When the plug finnaly broke loose the noise sounded like a Howitzer going off!! The WD 40 and heat are good suggestions. I guess Chevy did not want to spend the money for antiseeze or was that the Germans?!

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. I will try them and hopefully post back with some positive results. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Torque the plug to no MORE then 25 foot lbs..

I had to weld the 17inch allen to a plug once to get it out. :(
I thought about that too and if I have to I will. What about finding replacement plugs? Are they easy to find or do I need to go to a special source like ZFDOC? Does anyone coat the threads with Teflon or anti-seize? I see a big glob of yellow stuff on the threads and case. I bet this plug has never been out :surprised .

I know, too many questions:laughing:

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I will try them and hopefully post back with some positive results. :thumbsup:
Just a further thought. I did check my case very carefully after the load noise when it broke loose, since it was under warentee.
No Cracks! However since you won't have that situation I would try the WD-40 and wait overnight, then heat the case around the plug. The aluminum will expand more that the steel plug. Good luck.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a further thought. I did check my case very carefully after the load noise when it broke loose, since it was under warentee.
No Cracks! However since you won't have that situation I would try the WD-40 and wait overnight, then heat the case around the plug. The aluminum will expand more that the steel plug. Good luck.
Thank you! I will try it tomorrow afternoon. I went to Lowes to get the propane for my torch and the torch is screwed up :laughing: . So hopefully tomorrow afternoon I'll have a positive result. Next weekend I have u-joints :laughing: . Never a dull moment :laughing:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thought about that too and if I have to I will. What about finding replacement plugs? Are they easy to find or do I need to go to a special source like ZFDOC? Does anyone coat the threads with Teflon or anti-seize? I see a big glob of yellow stuff on the threads and case. I bet this plug has never been out :surprised .

I know, too many questions:laughing:

Thanks!
dealer sells them or ZFdoc can send you one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
dealer sells them or ZFdoc can send you one.
If you get the plug out without stripping the threads, cleaning with a wire brush it is probably all you need t do. Then put antiseeze on, just a thin layer. I have an 8.2 liter 502/502 Chevy Big Block in my street rod. Nothing goes in any aluminum or stainless without antiseeeze coumpound! I have lots of stainess bolts in stainless as well (bumbers etc), that needs an even heavier coating to avoid galling the threads. A tube of antiseeze can be purchased in any auto store. Goes a long way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts