Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fiited some ZO6 fog lights screens to my Coupe only it wasn't quite as simple as thet as I had a tow hook capable of raising the Titanic residing in the aperture! It took 2 hours with just a hacksaw blade to cut the end of the hook off.

Then I fiited brake duct screens and rear fascia grills and finished up by painting my brake calipers.

Before: I've relocated the number plate and added a Corvette filler plate and red letters since this pic was taken.

After:

Sidelights:

Fog lights:

Rear grills:

Brake calipers:

This is an old mod one of the first I did red reflective rear Corvette lettering.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Looks great...But what was the tow hook for?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where did you get these?

I have seen a lot of different ones on the market. I think I like the stainless the best. Who makes the best ones? Did you get yours from Ecklers. I want to get a reputable set. I am looking to put them on in a couple of weeks. Thanks

·
Registered
618 Posts
you seem to have alot more lights than western vettes. what are those side lights next to the fogs?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great...But what was the tow hook for?
My Vette is a European model and they have tow hooks front and rear so if you break down you car put hook on it and tow it out of the way.

It is welded to the frame and was a pita to just cut the end off!

I have seen a lot of different ones on the market. I think I like the stainless the best. Who makes the best ones? Did you get yours from Ecklers. I want to get a reputable set. I am looking to put them on in a couple of weeks. Thanks
I presume you are refering to the fog lights screens they were off Ebay.com they are galvanished steel so they won't rust.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=260129229484&rd=1,1

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you seem to have alot more lights than western vettes. what are those side lights next to the fogs?
This is again a European thing, this is how they come from the factory for Europe!

I don't like them or the tow hook so the fog light screens do agood job and hide both!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My Vette is a European model and they have tow hooks front and rear so if you break down you car put hook on it and tow it out of the way.

It is welded to the frame and was a pita to just cut the end off!

I presume you are refering to the fog lights screens they were off Ebay.com they are galvanished steel so they won't rust.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=260129229484&rd=1,1
I checked these out and they look pretty good, however like the earlier poster, there are soooo many different versions of these screens, I'm not sure which are the best. The seller indicates a 5-minute install without cutting, sticking, etc. With the exception of your tow hook issue, how easy is the installation. Where do these screens connect and is the quality as good as they claim?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked these out and they look pretty good, however like the earlier poster, there are soooo many different versions of these screens, I'm not sure which are the best. The seller indicates a 5-minute install without cutting, sticking, etc. With the exception of your tow hook issue, how easy is the installation. Where do these screens connect and is the quality as good as they claim?

Install is exactly like the seller says no cutting (for USA Vettes) no sticking they just push fit in. They are a flat piece of mesh that has rubber around the outside and it's a snug fit in the fog light apeture. I can only speak of these as I have no experience of any other types. They look a little flimsy when you get them out of the box but when they are pushed into the fog light aperture they are more solid and look very good for the price I payed. :thumbsup:

Some of the fog light screens you see are twice the price! I can't see how two pieces of mesh with a bit of rubber round the outside can cost $150! It's the Corvette Tax! :down:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took some pics and used the flash to fill in.

I fitted ZO6 rear brake duct screens, I think they looks great! :cool:

I know they are not real and only stick on, there is no way I'm cutting holes in the side of my Vette to fit real ones. I'm in the UK and most people have never even herd of a ZO6 let along seen one so it makes no difference. :twak:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
:thumbsup: Nice mod's :cheers:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
the screens look sweet. I bet your arm is sore from 2 hours of sawing

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Install is exactly like the seller says no cutting (for USA Vettes) no sticking they just push fit in. They are a flat piece of mesh that has rubber around the outside and it's a snug fit in the fog light apeture. I can only speak of these as I have no experience of any other types. They look a little flimsy when you get them out of the box but when they are pushed into the fog light aperture they are more solid and look very good for the price I payed. :thumbsup:

Some of the fog light screens you see are twice the price! I can't see how two pieces of mesh with a bit of rubber round the outside can cost $150! It's the Corvette Tax! :down:
Thanks for the reply. The mods look great. In regards to install, you mention they push fit it. That's it? The other aftermarket screen I looked at had double sided tape (which I'm not crazy about). I also thought about ordering the stock Z06 GM part, however I read that install required drilling, etc. which I'm also not crazy about....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the screens look sweet. I bet your arm is sore from 2 hours of sawing
My hand was really sore from trying to hold the hacksaw blade and I had to saw up from the bottom of the hook while kneeling in front of the car. I didn't have any sort of a decsent attachment to get in there with my electric drill and my jig saw wouldn't reach in there either.

It was all worth it though! :thumbsup:

RedBarchetta
The fitting was literally 20 seconds a side you push em in and then get them straight and level with a screw driver and needle nose pliers. The pliers are to pull the mesh back to get them vertical in the fog light opening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts