Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to take my 1990 ZR-1 for a ride for the first time this year after a winter of storage. It idled fine (as it did when I started it every few weeks). I filled it with new Gas, then started driving and it simply stalled out. A little misfire, then a feeling like it’s not getting gas. The dash light started doing some funky things too. I tried restarting it and it idled for a few seconds and then died.

I let it cool down and replaced the battery (it needed it anyway). I have figured out that it idles fine when it is cold. As soon as it gets warm (operation temp) the car shuts down and dies. On a restart when warm, it idles of a second or 2 and then dies. Engine light says check engine. Car has about 26K miles on it. I DOUBT the new gas is causing the problem. Any ideas or advice of where to start is appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds like the feul pump as soon as it reach's temp i think 179f the secondary shuts off which in turn means your primary pump is bad.
Chevy sells the whole sending unit that's the way chevy sells it as a unit,you can buy and replace just the pump,i'm sure you already knew that.
If,feul pump easy fix and $75 for the pump.

Good Luck Don

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete
I’m getting a Code 54 which is the fuel pump circuit.
so, it looks like it’s the Primary fuel pump.
Now where did you find one for $75?

I got a quote on a "surburban" pump for 133.63.:surprised

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don, $75 is for aftermarket.
Did you try gmpartsdirect.com for the suburban pump.
I would prefer the GM pump over the aftermarket.

Glad to hear you found the problem.

Don do you have the suburban pump part # handy i wouldn't mind having it for future referance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Are they individually fused?
Is it possible a fuse blew?
.. or a bad ground?
How can he test it?
Yes
Yes
It's not ground cause the secondary pump works fine,same ground.

All of the info given before was asumed that the obvious was checked.:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete,
Thanks for the help. Car is running!:cheers:

Does anyone know if the suburban pump flows the SAME as the original ZR-1 fuel pump?????

·
Registered
104 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Suburban pump?:huh:

Pat we have 2 pumps and Chevy sells the whole sending unit with 2 new pumps for $1200 they don't sell just the pumps.
So the ZR-1 guys found out the 1994 big block Chevy Suburban pump is the same as our pumps with the same connector plug for less money.
I have an extra ZR-1 sending unit with pumps next time we get together i'll show you what it looks like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts