Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
zr1 wheel offset Edit: (New Pics) Latest post

purchasing a set of zr1s for my '87 wondering on offset. 36 was stock for the REAL zr1, right? but 50 is whats made so the wheel tucks under the wheel well, correct? basically, I want to go with 36 so the car has a wider stance, BUT was wondering if they will fit mine correctly, or if modifications will needed to be made? 17"x11" in rear and 17x9.5 in front btw. Also what is the offset in the front? 38? i found a set of 38mm in front and 36mm in rear.

Anyone have any pictures, advice, or experience on this matter?

thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that wasn't a lot of help, but since no one replied i will try another question, on the same thread.

Anybody know of 18" zr1's? can you get them and are they available in 36mm offset?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I missed this thread completely, sorry. You want to buy the ones with the 36mm offset. If you buy the other ones they won't fit your car and you'll need spacers. They others will bolt right up to your car and don't really stick out. Here's a pic of mine down the fender and one from right behind.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i wondered why no one was replying. haha so is that 38mm in front and 36 in rear?

also do you know anything of 18" zr1s?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man those look absolutely amazing! :partyon: where'd you buy them from? how much?

did you just have to buy spacers?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought my wheels fairly cheaply on eBay. The seller only has them in black or chrome so I bought black ones and had a friend repaint them silver for me.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t as simple as bolting the wheels onto spacers/adapters - for me.

My adapters use 13/16" head shank style nuts to fasten them onto my car:

Factory wheels (including these sawblades) have large enough recesses in their mount surface to house the nuts:

The problem with the 18" ZR1 wheels is their recesses won't house 13/16" head nuts:

At first I didn't think this would be a problem. I could just go and buy new 3/4" head nuts for my adapters - right? Wrong! I looked everywhere but I couldn't find any with the correct thread/shank length/head size. Even if I did find them, it still would have been very tight.

In the end I decided to take a die grinder to the wheel recesses. I didn't have to take much out to get them to fit either:

Because alloy is so light, and the material removed was so close to the center, there were no balancing issues when it came time to fit tires. In fact, I was surprised how few balancing weights were required.

Then to hide the adapters from view with the new open design wheels (legally, adapters are a bit of a gray area here) I redrilled some local Ford brake dust shields to fit the adapters:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry, one more thing, what size spacers did you go with and was your car lowered or is that stock height?

·
Registered
149 Posts
As far as I know my car has stock ride height at the front but the rear has been wound down just a little.

My wheel spacers are 3/4" which is the correct width for adapting late C4 wheels to early C4s. Some people say if you get thicker spacers the new wheels will clear the nuts (which may be true) but then the wheels will stick out too far and won't look right, in my opinion.

Black wheels still come with chrome center caps so I would buy some black Grand Sport center caps to complete look. Then re-sell the chrome caps.

When I first got my wheels a couple of them had some minor dings around the lip which I assume occurred in transit. Before I decided to paint them I rubbed back the paint on the lip and in doing so also blended away the damage. The other advantage in doing this is tire fitters won't scratch the paint while fitting your tires.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you have been EXTREMELY helpful, I appreciate all of it. :partyon: I think I will leave the front alone then, cuz your ride height looks perfect with those. I was hoping to leave the rims all black, hopefully the guys mounting and balancing will be careful with the paint.

well i feel like i haven't done any research or work, but i guess thats what this forum is here for right? but while i'm at it, where'd you purchase your spacers? could i get them from a somewhere like summit, or jcwhitney or are there cheaper places?

p.s. you rock.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My adapters were already on my car when I bought it 9 years ago.

Looking on eBay, it seems to be difficult to get 3/4" thick adapters but Vette Brakes & Products sell them or you could possibly get them cheaper from one of the suppliers you mentioned. I also notice VB&P have the adapter nuts I was looking for but couldn't find anywhere else - oh well, too late now.

Make sure you post some photos when you get them fitted.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!

Thanks to Thunder Kiss i have new rims, except they're not here yet. however, here is an update... i am so excited, that i couldn't wait!

pulled in the drive to start on her

Wheels off

spacers in box

perfect fit

this is the best part, no trimming will be needed on the new rims i receive, because the lugs fit perfectly inside the adapter without sticking out.

and here's just a badass pic i took when i finished

now just have to wait for the wheels, should be here today, i'll be sure to put up final pics of them on! :partyon:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just got done putting my new wheels on too.
they fit great on the rear, fronts are just inside the fender. id be happier with a 1/4" spacer in there but im still thinking it over.

id post pictures on here, but cant seem to link them right. but there are pix in my photo section below my avaitor.

I ordered them from a place called bones enterprises from ebay,
shipped to my house was $1409. mounted and balanced with lugs. no spacers needed on my 84. kinda pricy, but I like them alot

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corvette-photos/data/509/medium/new_rims_2.jpg

·
Registered
149 Posts
DRM87, I like your adapters a lot better than my own. Yours use a tapered seat that allows the nuts to sit in a lot further. Mine use the old style "mag nuts" with shanks that cause them to sit out.
Are your spacers 3/4" thick? Also, did you end up getting them from Vette Brakes & Products, or did you find them cheaper elsewhere?

84brian, your car looks great with the black wheels.
To post photos just put image tags before and after the URL of the image.
For example:

·
Registered
230 Posts
sweet. thanks for the help posting pix.

I got it now!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts