Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the ZZ4 is in and running. It's been a while since I started to replace the intake gasket on the old motor and then it snowballed into a multibillion dollar project. Not really billions but it feels like it. Anyhow, its hard to shift through the gears and either grinds or won't go in at all. I haven't touched the clutch adjustment because it looks like its already adjusted all the way out. Any ideas on what I should try next? I'm thinking it may be low on oil since it sat so long and spilled out once in a while. What type of oil shoud I use and how much? Take a look at some pictures.

I've got to replace the wire going to the temp sending unit and the rubber fuel line.

Checkout my DeWitt's radiator. It makes the engine bay look a whole lot better. DeWitts makes a good radiator but their customer service is not very responsive.

Thanks for any responses guys.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Did you have the tranny out? if so the linkage could be out of adjustment.

Kevin

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was out. I think I'll start with linkage and fluids. Do you know what weight oil and how much? Thanks

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
A Muncie gets plain old 90w gear oil. That'll keep that part happy. I use Valvoline but everyone has a different preference.

I agree with Kevin- check the adjustment of everything- shifter, and clutch. You did change the clutch when you did the engine? And got the correct throw-out bearing?

:cheers:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
A Muncie gets plain old 90w gear oil. That'll keep that part happy. I use Valvoline but everyone has a different preference.

I agree with Kevin- check the adjustment of everything- shifter, and clutch. You did change the clutch when you did the engine? And got the correct throw-out bearing?

:cheers:
I feel that straight 30w synthetic engine oil works fine for a Muncie, did it to mine, and the shifting was smoother/smoother than any modern tranny....

ran fine for 2 years....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh boy; I had this problem on my (don't laugh) '65 F100. Problem cause: I didn't line up the tranny properly on the bell housing, causing the trans shaft to seriously wear into the pilot bushing--it was like having the clutch engaged all the time. Are the release fingers on your pressure plate bent from excessive heat (friction)? This could explain why the adjustment is all the way out and still trouble shifting. Hope you get it resolved...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts