Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
I like your build. I am impressed and cant wait to see the finished project. Please take my comments in stride. Or with a grain of salt. But whatever you do please don't let me get you discouraged. You are building Awesome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am running the C3 Corvette LS Swap ceramic coated headers from ARH(bought through a different vendor). I mainly went with the headers for ease of putting on some form of exhaust until I could make it to a shop. Here is a pic of it on the lift all completed at the exhaust shop. I have some heat shielding for the exhaust on the way now as well.
20190930_165429.jpg

As for the heat, I had originally had both Fatmat(sound) and Reflectix on the inside of the firewall with only the Fatmat on the floor. Most of the Reflectix has been replaced with the Thermo-Tec products. I also threw some of Thermo-Tec's Suppressor Heat & Sound on top the the Fatmat since I ran across a good sale on some. Not sure if it was needed though. I now have Fatmat, Suppressor Heat & Sound, and the Thermo-Guard on the inside firewall on down covering the whole floor. Jury is still out on the interior temps but I feel confident. I've heard good things about Dynamat. I've never seen it but if it isn't too thick, you could use both. The only issue may be around the accel pedal. It looks like we're using the same pedal and mine is mounted very similar to yours. I haven't driven mine yet with all the heat products I've added and carpet in, but with all that installed the pedal can still be pressed to its physical stop right before it bottoms out with the flooring. If I run into issues, I'll have to revisit and do some trimming or adjust the pedal mount.

Here is a poor pic of my pedal during my wire cleanup attempt.
pedal.jpg

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I am running the C3 Corvette LS Swap ceramic coated headers from ARH(bought through a different vendor). I mainly went with the headers for ease of putting on some form of exhaust until I could make it to a shop. Here is a pic of it on the lift all completed at the exhaust shop. I have some heat shielding for the exhaust on the way now as well.
View attachment 103018

As for the heat, I had originally had both Fatmat(sound) and Reflectix on the inside of the firewall with only the Fatmat on the floor. Most of the Reflectix has been replaced with the Thermo-Tec products. I also threw some of Thermo-Tec's Suppressor Heat & Sound on top the the Fatmat since I ran across a good sale on some. Not sure if it was needed though. I now have Fatmat, Suppressor Heat & Sound, and the Thermo-Guard on the inside firewall on down covering the whole floor. Jury is still out on the interior temps but I feel confident. I've heard good things about Dynamat. I've never seen it but if it isn't too thick, you could use both. The only issue may be around the accel pedal. It looks like we're using the same pedal and mine is mounted very similar to yours. I haven't driven mine yet with all the heat products I've added and carpet in, but with all that installed the pedal can still be pressed to its physical stop right before it bottoms out with the flooring. If I run into issues, I'll have to revisit and do some trimming or adjust the pedal mount.

Here is a poor pic of my pedal during my wire cleanup attempt.
View attachment 103019
Clever way to get past the deep driver's seat pan. I did it the hard way.... Replaced the seat pan with a shallow pan, like on the passenger side. I knew I wasn't going to retain the stock seats. Also fabbed up a new crossmember. These 2 things result in more room for the exhaust, but I'm not sure it's worth all the trouble!
DSC_7657.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
It's time for me to start getting serious about weatherstripping. I'll be replacing all of it. Previous research has me leaning toward CRC. Over the years I've gotten some really good stuff and some really bad stuff. I've never used CRC before, can anyone share their experience, good or bad, with CRC? I'm open to recommendations also. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I like your build. I am impressed and cant wait to see the finished project. Please take my comments in stride. Or with a grain of salt. But whatever you do please don't let me get you discouraged. You are building Awesome.
Autowiz, thanks for the kind words! You won't discourage me, I like to get honest opinions, good or bad!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Greetings, nothing major here, just thought I'd update my build thread. Finally got the body and frame back together as one. Only took 2 years and a bunch of chemo at MD Anderson! Feeling great, things should start moving quickly now... IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

·
Registered
103 Posts
Glad to hear your "feeling great" - keep up the good work, love your build !

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Thanks 7TRoadster, glad to see you checking in from time to time! I'm getting dangerously close to the last phase, the interior.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
1981 C3/LS3 swap, radiator hose question. I have a Dewitt 6139077M radiator on the way, thought I would tap the knowledge base here regarding the large radiator hoses. I have the Vintage Air Front Runner setup with the water pump they included with the kit. I attached a pic from early in the build that shows the water pump. Does anyone that has done a similar swap have any part numbers for the 2 large hoses? I'm no stranger to scrounging around and finding hoses that fit, or can be modified to fit, but would sure be a time and effort saver if someone could give me a starting point. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1463.JPG

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Hi all, this isn't a big deal but thought I'd throw it out there anyway FWIW. This has to do with the horns and their location in the 81. When I started breaking down the car, I discovered that one of the horns (passenger side) was missing while the other was still in place on the driver side. I wanted to replace them but started getting crossed up on the correct bracket. That's when I discovered that the 81 assembly manual doesn't agree with the way my 81 was built. It shows one of the horns mounted near the center of the front hood opening and the other mounted to the big "crash plate" at the front of the bumper reinforcement. It's circled on one of the photos below. The correct location for my 81 is under the forward end of the fenders. That's where the wiring harness lines up as well. If you have done much with the assembly manual and service manual then you have probably discovered there are numerous inaccuracies. Like I said, no big thing, just thought I'd share.
IMG_2921.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923A.jpg

181 - 193 of 193 Posts